One area of the home that is often overlooked when it comes to home security is garage door security. Many homeowners assume since the door is shut the home is secure. However, opening a garage door is not that difficult for skilled robbers.
All that is required is a wire coat hanger and a block of wood. They simply slip the block of wood in between the garage door and weatherstripping to create an opening big enough to slide the coat hanger into the garage. Next, they use the coat hanger to release the emergency door release, and the door is now open.
Fortunately, once homeowners are aware of this trick, there are several things they can do to secure their garage door. One option found on many openers is the ability to lock the door release so it cannot be released without pressing and pushing in a release pin. There are also special locks that go around the release to prevent it from being opened.
Aside from securing the garage door release, how to secure a garage door should focus on the following:
- Lighting – How well lit is the area around the garage door? With automatic light sensors, you can ensure the area lights up anytime the motion sensors are triggered to keep the garage door area brightly lit. Most thieves do not want to be seen, so this is a great deterrent to keep your home secure.
- Upgrading the Garage Door – If your door is older, in need of repairs, or simply lacks security features, you should upgrade to a wrought iron garage door. Wrought iron doors, in general, are a deterrent to thieves. They know that breaking in is much harder with wrought iron doors, including garage doors, so they typically skip houses with these types of doors.
- Locking the Garage Door – All garage doors have a locking mechanism. You should get into the habit of locking the garage door to increase the security of your home. A locked door makes it more difficult to break in. There are smart garage door locks you can have installed that lock and unlock the door through an app on your smartphone, so you never have to get out of your vehicle.
- The Type and Location of Glass – Glass windows could be a security concern when it comes to garage doors. However, with the right security features, like wrought iron bars over the glass, it is possible to make glass windows securer.
- Locking the Door Between the Garage and the Home – Another thing you can do to improve garage door security is to always lock the entry door between the garage and the home. Even if someone were to break into the garage, you can still prevent them access to the main home.
- Installing Security Cameras – A few security cameras mounted on the exterior of the home near the garage can be a great deterrent, especially when paired with motion-sensing lights.
- Upgrade to a Smart Door Opener – Keeping a portable garage door opened in your vehicle is like leaving a key to your home in plain sight for would-be thieves. Newer openers can be accessed through an app on your smartphone or even programmed through your vehicle’s infotainment system, so you don’t need a physical opener in the vehicle.
By using these tips, you can improve the security of your garage door and your home. To shop for wrought iron garage doors, please feel free to browse our selections at Universal Iron Doors and contact us directly at 818-771-1003 to request a free quote or inquire about custom garage door configurations today!